Concentrated bearded young man using laptop while his friends studying together


When you can no longer pay your debts, bankruptcy laws generally allow you to resolve your debts by dividing up your assets (if you still have any) among all your creditors. Debts that are not paid off in this process are discharged by order of a federal court. When a debt is discharged, you are no longer obligated to pay it.

Student loan debt receives special treatment under the bankruptcy laws. Generally, student loan debt cannot be discharged in bankruptcy unless the debt imposes an undue hardship on you and your dependents.

The discussion here focuses on student loans and bankruptcy.

There are different types of bankruptcy cases. A Chapter 7 case involves a liquidation of assets. Chapter 13, sometimes called a wage-earner's bankruptcy, allows you to pay off all or some portion of your debt in installments over time. Chapter 12 is for family farmers and (as of October 17, 2005) family commercial fishing operations, and Chapter 11 is typically used in business reorganizations. Your attorney can help you decide which, if any, is appropriate for you.

Two sets of rules

The Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 (2005 Bankruptcy Act), also known as the Bankruptcy Reform Act changed the rules regarding student loans. The rules for bankruptcy filings made prior to October 17, 2005 are different from the rules for bankruptcy filings made on or after October 17, 2005.

Bankruptcy filings made prior to October 17, 2005

Generally, for bankruptcy filings made prior to October 17, 2005, government-backed student loans are nondischargeable in bankruptcy. Specifically, an educational benefit over-payment or loan may not be discharged in bankruptcy if it was:

  • Made by a government unit
  • Insured by a government unit
  • Guaranteed by a government unit
  • Made under any program funded in whole or in part by a government unit, or
  • Made under any program funded in whole or in part by a nonprofit institution

Additionally, obligations to repay funds received as an educational benefit, scholarship, or stipend are nondischargeable.

For filings before October 17, 2005, however, you can avoid privately issued student loans that have no connection to any governmental unit.

Bankruptcy filings made on or after October 17, 2005

For bankruptcy filings made on or after October 17, 2005, the pre-2005 Bankruptcy Act rules are extended to include privately issued student loans. Specifically, any educational loan that is a qualified education loan, as defined by Section 221(d)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC), incurred by a debtor who is an individual is nondischargeable. Generally, IRC Section 221(d)(1) defines a qualified education loan as any indebtedness incurred to pay for qualified higher education expenses. Accordingly, in the absence of undue hardship, student loans are nondischargeable regardless of the nature of the lender.

Exception: paying the loan would impose an undue hardship on you and your dependents

A hardship exception applies if denial of a discharge would place an undue hardship on you and your dependents. The Bankruptcy Code, however, provides no definitions or examples of what constitutes undue hardship. Instead, local bankruptcy judges are left to make their own determinations. A good rule of thumb is that if your hardship is so severe that you would qualify for disability benefits under the Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) rules, you probably qualify for the hardship exception.

For this exception to apply, the hardship should affect both you and your dependents. The idea is that you should not be forced to repay student loans if it means taking food out of the mouths of your children and other people who rely on you for support.


This material was prepared by Broadridge Investor Communication Solutions, Inc., and does not necessarily represent the views of The Retirement Group or FSC Financial Corp. This information should not be construed as investment advice. Neither the named Representatives nor Broker/Dealer gives tax or legal advice. All information is believed to be from reliable sources; however, we make no representation as to its completeness or accuracy. The publisher is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting or other professional services. If other expert assistance is needed, the reader is advised to engage the services of a competent professional. Please consult your Financial Advisor for further information or call 800-900-5867.

The Retirement Group is not affiliated with nor endorsed by,,,,, ING Retirement, AT&T, Qwest, Chevron, Hughes, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, ExxonMobil, Glaxosmithkline, Merck, Pfizer, Verizon, Bank of America, Alcatel-Lucent or by your employer. We are an independent financial advisory group that specializes in transition planning and lump sum distribution. Please call our office at 800-900-5867 if you have additional questions or need help in the retirement planning process.

The Retirement Group is a Registered Investment Advisor not affiliated with FSC Securities and may be reached at




Tags: Financial Planning, Lump Sum, Pension, Retirement Planning